Jamie J. Spannhake
Prior to joining BNR, Jamie was attorney owner of Spannhake Law LLC. Before Spannhake Law, Jamie was an associate in the commercial litigation departments of Thelen Reid & Priest LLP and Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP in New York City, where she worked on a variety of matters in both federal and state courts and in arbitration. In her practice, Jamie has represented clients, as both plaintiff and defendant, in all stages of litigation and arbitration, including advising clients regarding whether to initiate proceedings, and from initial filing through trial or settlement and on appeal.
She has experience handling general commercial litigation matters, ranging from contract disputes and business torts to multi-party and multi-jurisdiction litigation in diverse areas of substantive law, including breach of non-solicitation and non-competition agreements, federal securities law, unfair business practices, lender liability, investment fraud, and animal law issues. She has routinely represented clients who have been sued in violation of arbitration agreements and who wish to enforce their arbitration agreements in lieu of proceeding in court.
Before entering private practice, Jamie was a judicial clerk to the Honorable Joel F. Dubina of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She received her J.D. magna cum laude from Brooklyn Law School, and her B.A. from the University of Mississippi.
Her legal experience, coupled with her diverse background that includes time spent as a health coach, an actress, a freelance writer, and a graphic designer, enables her to understand and effectively advocate for a variety of clients in diverse industries.
Activities & Community Involvement
- Connecticut Bar Association, Women in the Law Executive Committee Member 2012-2014
- Chair of ABA Women Rainmakers Committee, 2009-2011
- Animal Legal Defense Fund – Attorney Member
- Pace Law School, Adjunct Professor, Criminal Law and Legal Writing, 2009-2010
- Brooklyn Law School, Adjunct Professor, International Legal Writing and Moot Court, 2008
- Screen Actors Guild and Actors Equity Association
- Board of Education member for the Town of Sherman, Connecticut, 2010-2013
- Sherman Soccer Club, Coach, co-ed U5 team, 2014
Articles & Speaking Engagements
Jamie writes and speaks on various topics of importance to lawyers, including litigation, discovery, contracts, career management, health, nutrition, and time and stress management. Examples include:
- “Get the Career You Want with a Professional Development Coach,” Connecticut Lawyer, July/August 2014.
- “Lawyers’ Time Management Secrets,” A Matter of Time, Attorney at Work e-zine, Summer 2013.
- “Staying Healthy: 10 Tips for Traveling Lawyers,” Attorney at Work, April 2012.
- “Step by Step: Tips to Working with a Professional Development Coach,” Law Practice Magazine, Sept./Oct. 2010.
- “What Law School Didn’t Teach You: Self-Advocacy for Survival and Sustainability,” American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section; Las Vegas, Nevada; April 2010.
- “Time Management for Law Students,” Fordham Law School, Career Center Series; New York, New York; Spring 2008.
- B.A. from the University of Mississippi
- J.D. magna cum laude from Brooklyn Law School
- New York State Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan