Joshua T. Reitzas
Co-Founder / Partner
A founding partner of Berlandi Nussbaum & Reitzas LLP (“BNR”), Mr. Reitzas is a highly experienced litigator and strategic advisor. Mr. Reitzas is known for attacking and resolving numerous complex issues on behalf of clients– whether by aggressively litigating high stake matters in the public glare or acting as a trusted advisor behind the scenes. For years, Mr. Reitzas has proven himself in courtrooms as well as boardrooms across New York, and around the country. His practice includes the representation of both domestic and international corporations, foundations, as well as high profile individuals and influencers in media, entertainment and business.
Mr. Retizas' areas of expertise include civil litigation and corporate workouts, media and entertainment matters, private equity, as well as special advisory services to certain clients within the media industry on corporate activities and new business ventures.
A longtime member of the New York Bar Association, Mr. Reitzas completed his undergraduate work at Bowdoin College, and received his Juris Doctorate from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. Mr. Reitzas is admitted to practice in the U.S. Supreme Court, the states of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit and the U.S. Court of International Trade. Mr. Reitzas has been active as a committee member for the Richard A. Reitzas Athletic Endowment for The Wheeler School, and as an alumni interviewer for Phillips Exeter Academy, and Bowdoin College. He previously served as a committee member for the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Attorney Professionalism and member of the Hedge Fund and Private Equity Group at the Harvard Club of New York. He also serves as President of the Board of Directors for 200 East 16th Street Housing Corporation, and is a principal of Harkness Advisors, LLC.
Notable Engagements include:
- Representation of the Last Experience Inc., and its owner Gerald Goldstein, as a litigation strategist (along with CA counsel) in their successful defense against all claims asserted by Experience Hendrix, Inc. (the Estate of Jimi Hendrix) in their dispute for the release of historic, unseen footage of Jimi Hendrix performing at the Royal Albert Hall;
- Prevailing on a motion to dismiss all claims against a private mortgage lender client in a trustee’s complaint in the matter of In re Stillwater Capital Partners, Inc. Litigation, No. 11-cv-2737;
- Represented award winning writer and producer against partners in an alleged improper distribution deal with major television network;
- Representing several famous music producer(s) for alleged non-payment of music royalties against major labels and distributors;
- Representation of one of the world’s most dominant and revolutionary co-op media and advertising companies;
- Secured the dismissal of all claims against the firm’s client in Jason Draizen and Medical Cannabis Network v. Adam Linder and Stephen J. Czarnik, (NY Supreme, Index No. 650695/2015);
- Secured a vacatur of a large monetary judgment with full release of the firm’s client in 99 Jericho LLC v. Jim G. Dane, Paul Burton & XYZ Corp. (NY Supreme, Index No. 605574/2014);
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of award winning photographer in copyright infringement against architectural firm’s alleged misuse; and
- Secured a favorable licensing fee on behalf of a celebrity photographer for alleged copyright infringement with a Grammy award winning artist.
In addition, Mr. Reitzas has lectured on numerous legal topics, and has appeared on the Pawling Public Radio Show, “This Side of the Law.”
Mr. Reitzas has been recognized by both peers and various organizations for his outstanding contributions to the legal community. Since 2004, Mr. Reitzas has been listed in the Marquis Who’s Who American Law publication. And 2018, Marquis Who’s Who presented Mr. Reitzas with its prestigious Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2019, Lawyers of Distinction recognized Mr. Reitzas for his outstanding contributions in civil litigation. And in 2020, the American Institute of Trial Lawyers presented Mr. Reitzas with Litigator of the Year honors. The National Alliance of Attorneys named Mr. Reitzas as a Distinguished Member, while the American Institute of Legal Advocates named him as an Elite Advocate in Civil Litigation. In addition, Mr. Reitzas is the winner of the 2020 International Advisory Experts Award for Commercial Litigation in New York state.
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2001
- A.B., Bowdoin College, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- New York
- New Jersey